Blog Post #3

1. An idea that strike my interest from chapter 4:language, meaning and interpretation is how culler explains and describes the tree dimensions of ‘meaning’ in literature. This was significant to me because in the text culler stated that there are three different levels of meaning are the meaning of a word, utterance and text. I agree with this because I believe that in literature a text can have many different perspectives and meanings. It also has an effect on the reader and the text can make the reader think about what he/she read. I think this idea jumps out at me because I really think literature is like an artwork where it express things in a lot of ways and can affect the reader into questioning himself what the text really means.
  2. A poem that I thought uses one of the techniques culler describes in chapter 5 is Emily Dickinson’s poetry titled “The brain is wider than the sky”. In this poem I found that she usesĀ  figures of speech. Emily uses metaphor in this poem to describe and compare how the brain is wider than the sky. This technique jumps out to be important to b=me because this helps for the reader in his mind create images and questions to analyze of what the texts means and what the author is trying to express or say through their writing. It helps shape the meaning of the poem because the text is trying to tell you that the brain can be powerful and think of things that are out of this world.