Blog Post #2

After reading the chapter, and weighing my options carefully, I deemed the section literature as intertextual or self-reflective construct to be something that I would personally look into. This is because of the sort of paradoxical theory that (and correct me if I am wrong) every piece of literature is just a remade, reimagined version of the previous until eventually it turns into something else entirely. It had me thinking of how literature has evolved over the years, even in just the amount of time we humans could record history, because before recorded history were just stories that were eventually lost to time but may have actually been the basis for things we know and love today. A quick example that the section gives us is when talking about the sonnet by Shakespeare My Mistress, where what is written is closely connected to metaphors used in love stories, however with his own take on the matter, and instead changing the way we read it while still using those same metaphors and tropes. It’s a fun theory to play around with for sure and I do believe that in some way everything we read or write was derived from one place and then slowly started being mixed together from different places. Even today, some movie tropes stay the same while others make it seem the same, but make it have a much heavier impact on the watchers than the ones that have been done a million times over.

1 thought on “Blog Post #2

1. Jorge, interesting thoughts here. Yes, in this section Culler is introducing the idea of literature as a chain of works that refer to and grow from each other.