Blog post #3

1. One idea from “Literature, Meaning and Interpretation” strikes me as interesting, important or significant regarding language and meaning is the theory of Saussure that ” That it is one rather than the other” Jonathan gave an example that he was sitting on a chair but it could be called anything else. Culler also said how certain objects he may see may be said a certain way in his language but differ in someone else’s. This interests me because for some reason i’ve always thought about that- The idea that we could have called certain objects anything else but we stuck with a certain name, and how they are called other things in different languages. To think about that is just interesting to me.
  2. In “Yet Do I Marvel” by Countee Cullen he says “Inscrutable His ways are, and immune to catechism by a mind too strewn.” From this we can say that one of the poetic techniques that he uses from Jonathan Cullers ‘Literary Theory’ is rhythmic words by Cullen rhyming words such as “Immune” and “strewn” he’s creating a rhythmical pattern and the reason why I find that interesting is because of the rhythmical pattern you create when rhyming words.