Blog Post #2

In this part of the chapter, Culler defines literature from several angles. The angle that I am most drawn to is  “literature as fiction”. The literary work is a linguistic event that projects a fictional world that includes a speaker, actors, and an implied audience. Literary works that refer to imaginary rather than historical and factual ideas. It is how the reader interprets and understands the writer’s message. I find it interesting how it can lead to multiple meanings for the audience, depending on the views and mindset of the reader. A sentence can be put out with a lucrative purpose, for the readers to interpret and make it their own. Fictional literature is not bound to factual ideology, rather it is more imaginative and thought-driven. This draws the attention of readers like me, pushing us to imagine the unimaginable. It allows us to gain meaningful insights without the fear of being wrong. Since it is interpreted in numerous ways there is not definite answer. This  leads to interesting discussions paving ways to topics that are not usually talked about in our daily life. This is why fictional literature is the most appealing and relatable angle to me.

1 thought on “Blog Post #2

1. Tenzing, you do an excellent job of explaining why you gravitate toward this angle on literature. I’m wondering if any parts of the poetry we’ve read so far jump out at you in this respect.